Coppola e Toppo
Coppola e Toppo (Est. late 1940s) In Milan, Italy in the late 1940’s Coppola e Toppo was founded by two managers, brother and sister, Bruno Coppola (marketing) and Lyda Toppo (designer.) The company was among many Italian businesses that spurred Italy’s recovery effort after the devastating effects of World War II. In part, Coppola e Toppo achieved success by directing a significant portion of their jewelry sales to the American market.
The company’s signature pieces are comprised of multiple strands of crystal, Murano glass and plastic beads. Early 1940s pieces are signed Mikey (their pet dog). 1950s pieces are marked “Made in Italy by Coppola e Toppo”.
The popularity of Coppola e Toppo jewelry took a while to grow. More widespread awareness of their work came when the fashion houses of Dior and Balenciaga began to occasionally incorporate C e T’s jewelry designs for some of their catwalk and retail line fashions. Though relatively small in number, Coppola e Toppo produced jewelry for Dior, Balenciaga and Schiaparelli.
It was a commission from Elsa Schiaparelli for a line of faux coral bead jewelry called, “Bijoux Voyages” that propelled Coppola e Toppo to the upper fashion echelon. Pucci and Valentino followed with additional commissions that enabled the company to increase the number of jewelry designs created with its own trademark, “Made in Italy by Coppola e Toppo.”
Each piece is literally a work of art. Locally sourced materials are arranged in very classical and tailored forms, giving the jewelry an unmistakable look. Most well-known for their elaborate creations in necklaces, bracelets, pins, cuffs, and more, Coppola e Toppo occasionally produced restrained pieces that are now rarely seen.
Coppola e Toppo was absorbed by a large Italian company in 1972 that continued the production of Coppola e Toppo jewelry. That company ceased operation in 1986. Coppola e Toppo jewelry can be found today and is quite collectible and priced accordingly.